Monday, June 13, 2005

Guns as a human right

Joe Katzman at Winds of Change has a very interesting post about the right to bear arms (via Citizen Smash). As a European I too feel uncomfortable about guns, but the argument he makes is extremely compelling:
As many of you know, I'm from Canada. We have a pretty different attitude to guns up here, and I must say that American gun culture has always kind of puzzled me. To me, one no more had a right to a gun than one did to a car.
Well, my mind has changed. Changed to the point where I see gun ownership as being a slightly qualified but universal global human right.
[...]
Here's the crux, the argument before which all other arguments pale into insignificance:
The Right to Bear Arms is the only reliable way to prevent genocide in the modern world.
Do read the whole thing: it is argued clearly and cogently.

No comments: