Tuesday, November 29, 2005

London, here I come!

Lately things have been moving much too fast for my taste. I have mentioned before that I work in the field of corporate governance and proxy voting. I have lived in Brussels for the past year and a half, and I am currently in my last week of work under a temporary contract for a market leader in this domain. A few weeks ago I sent my resume to a smaller London-based competitor and within days I was invited for an interview and offered a permanent job in London. I was there for the past several days (narrowly escaping the snow-induced chaos in much of the rest of Europe), I signed the contract last Friday and I am moving on Sunday. I'm still a little dazed by the speed of it all.
I'm really happy about this, not only for the job - which sounds interesting - but also for the location: London is a lovely, bustling and exciting city where I have several friends and relatives. Not to mention the fact that I feel a close intellectual connection to the Anglo-Saxon world...
However, the technicalities of moving are not as glamorous. I am frantically looking for a place to stay (though I don't lack stopgap solutions) and there are all sorts of annoying administrative things that need to be taken care of.
Nevertheless this morning I am in a buoyant mood: I was finishing this week's The Business on my way to work, and I see that my new, rather obscure, employer is referred to as "highly regarded." Well, that's nice to know!

No comments: