Monday, January 16, 2006

My legs hurt...

I was quite busy at home this weekend, but I made time to further my intensive museum-visiting program. On Saturday I went to the Victoria and Albert Museum, whose vast array of collections are somewhat difficult to categorize but mostly comprise historical and contemporary objects associated with households and buildings in general. The actual building where it is housed is itself worth a visit and I certainly enjoyed myself.
On Sunday I went next door to the Natural History Museum, which was also fascinating, though if you visit museums for the relaxing tranquility, this is not the place for you as it is full of hands-on exhibits, overrun with kids and a lot of the stuff shown is not for the squeamish. At any rate I only got through the ground floor of the Life Galleries, leaving the upper floors and all the Earth Galleries for another time.
After that I walked home, which considering I had to get from South Kensington to Bloomsbury took quite a while but was also scenic: past Harrod's and Hyde Park Corner, along the south side of Green Park to Buckingham Palace and down Constitution Hill, where (I found out from this week's Time Out) Queen Victoria suffered three separate attempts on her life. Then I walked up Regent Street to Piccadilly Circus and up Shaftesbury Avenue along home, via the British Museum. And no, I didn't visit that too...

No comments: